Vision & Philosophy
The underpinning philosophy of the school established by the founding principal, Mr Al Leece still thrives today and embraces the loaves and the hyacinths principle in education;
'If of fortune be bereft and of thine earthly store hath left two loaves sell one and with the dole buy hyacinths to feed the soul.'
The loaves are about the core foundation skills; literacy and numeracy and the skills involved in learning. The hyacinths are about passion areas, creativity, curiosity and confidence. It is about happiness and responding to the joy of being alive.
At Hawker Primary School we aim to provide a secure, caring and stimulating learning and working environment which is inclusive, values excellence and is responsive to the community.
At Hawker Primary School we believe that within the policies of the ACT Department of Education, 'Every Chance to Learn' and the Australian Curriculum it is our responsibility to design a school which is responsive to the demonstrated needs of our students and our community. We also believe that our programs should be underpinned with a set of core values. These values both protect our children and teach them the skills and attitudes they need for life as active citizens in local and global communities.
At Hawker we take a consistent whole school approach to creating programs which:
- Value and acknowledge every child
- Develop strong foundations in literacy and numeracy for every child
- Promote academic excellence and learning enrichment
- Develop quality relationships and resilience
- Nurture a culture of peace and social harmony
- Give children the opportunity to explore the creative arts
- Develop life skills in fitness and sport
- Equip children for their future in technology
- Give children the opportunity to learn in a variety of ways
- Engage children in critical and creative thinking
- Expect children to do their best and strive to reach their potential